Why should the business & college communities be involved in Mentoring?
Benefits to Businesses & Colleges
• Engaging employees; providing opportunities for skill building and improving retention.
• Developing a pipeline for future talent by preparing young people for college and careers.
• Strengthening our community through corporate citizenship.
Benefits to Youth
• Youth are less likely to be absent from school and are more likely to go on to higher education.
• Youth are more likely to abstain from illegal drugs and underage drinking.
• Youth are introduced to careers and companies they would otherwise be unfamiliar with and gain job-ready skills.
The Boys & Girls Club of Worcester and the Business & College Communities are vital components of the workforce pipeline in Worcester. The proposed collaboration will not only strengthen our youth, but our entire community. Youth will receive additional support and resources, and business professionals & college students will be immersed in meaningful service.
Boys & Girls Club of Worcester will provide volunteer opportunities including monthly events for mentors and mentees to meet. Mentor trainings & coaching, along with background checks will be included.
Business & College Community will recruit professionals & students to be mentors to our members. The mentors provide support & knowledge to our youth, which will contribute to their emotional and academic growth.
Monthly events will be hosted at the Boys & Girls Club as opportunities for Mentors & Mentees to meet. Events include;
- Kick Off Event
- Holiday Bash
- Spa Party
- Hoops Clinic
- Paint Night
- STEM Lab
According to MENTOR, the national mentoring partnership, mentored kids are 55% more likely to enroll in college, 52% less likely to skip school, and 78% more likely to volunteer regularly. They also found that they were far less likely to try dangerous substances, and far more likely to participate in extracurricular activities.
For more information contact:
How to get started:
- Contact Liz Hamilton for Mentor Application or download the Mentor Application
- Attend orientation; please contact Liz Hamilton - SS card & photo ID required
- Participate in monthly events