- 86% of Club alumni report that the Club impacted their ability to work with others.
-The Harris Survey of Boys & Girls Club Alumni
The Job Readiness Program primarily focuses on teen members at the Boys & Girls Club, and offers a valuable resource in their career path and planning. Our Club is a place where they can gain leadership skills that make them more employable in the workforce and better prepared to apply to and succeed in college. The 12-week job readiness program consists of:
- Resume writing courses
- Interview technique training
- Workshops that address job application completion and dressing for success
- Courses and activities with an emphasis on leadership and community service.
- Certification courses (lifeguard, ServSafe, etc.)
Over 50 members gained employment during 2018, and a number of members continue to find employment here throughout the year. Thanks to job shadowing programs provided by Old Navy, and workshops by Herlihy Insurance and other companies, teen members have the opportunity to experience different work environments, explore new career paths and learn new skills. Thanks to a partnership with Central MA Safety Council, over 100 of our teens have received FREE driver's ed courses at the Club, which is becoming an integral part of finding a job as a teen, as well as an important part of their independence.
From assistant program staff to certified life guards, members gain real-life experience, give back to the Club, mentor children, and oftentimes earn what is their first paycheck.