Buster Sheary was a native of Worcester who developed his skills in basketball at the Worcester Boys Club. He later attended and played basketball at Catholic University, where he earned All-South fullback honors. After graduating, he returned to Worcester and coached in the high school ranks for ten years, leading St. Peter’s to the 1936 New England Championship.
Sheary became associated with Holy Cross College during World War II, while serving as a specialist in the Naval ROTC. His coaching duties started with scouting for the football and basketball squads, until the 1947-1948 basketball team unanimously elected him their coach. Led by Crusader greats Tom Heinsohn, Togo Palazzi, and Ron Perry, Holy Cross roared to a 26-2 mark in 1953-1954 and captured the NIT Championship. During his seven years as basketball coach at Holy Cross, Sheary compiled an outstanding .811 winning percentage. He left the college in 1955, but retained his duties as Assistant Director of Athletics for the Worcester Public Schools, spearheading the effort that culminated in the construction of Foley Stadium and a field house at South High.
Buster Sheary’s legacy has been spread throughout the country, as 53 of his former players have coached in the prep school, collegiate, or professional ranks.