POSITION: Assistant Director of The Arts & Leadership – Harrington Clubhouse
REPORTS TO: Senior Program Director
HOURS OF WORK: Part-Time (29 hours)
WORK STATUS: Non-Exempt
Reporting directly to the Senior Program Director, with support from the Director of Operations, the Boys & Girls Club of Worcester is seeking a part-time (29 hours a week) Assistant Director of The Arts & Leadership and Dance Program Assistant for our Harrington Clubhouse, located in the Main South Neighborhood in Worcester.
The assistant will report directly to the Senior Program Director and is responsible for planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating The Arts and Leadership programs and activities that foster creativity, builds self-confidence, and develops positive relationships for members ages 8-18 while working closely with the Senior Program Director. Other responsibilities include encouraging active youth leadership and decision-making through leadership groups, service-learning initiatives, peer leader development, youth recognition, diversity, and character education. Promote/recruit program participation.
The schedule is typically during after-school hours, Mondays through Fridays. Flexibility of work schedule is required during competition season.
Experience: 1 – 2 years of dance (hip hop, jazz, afro-fusion), cheerleading, or related experience
Education: High School degree (or equivalent) required
The following are preferred skills and behaviors for this position:
Working closely with the Senior Program Director, the Assistant will:
• Prepare youth for success through planning and implementing program activities that support the organization’s mission.
• Provide day-to-day program activities in accordance with established standards and goals (e.g. Smart Girls/Girls Voice, arts activities/projects and leadership workshops).
• Provide age-appropriate girls-only programming designed to meet developmental needs.
• Ensure that members are encouraged to participate in a variety of program areas/ activities and receive instruction and constructive feedback to develop skills in program area (s).
• Demonstrate leadership to assure conduct, safety, and development of members.
• Supervise overall daily operations of the Arts, Leadership, Music and Dance programs.
• Allocate and monitor work assigned to program volunteers and staff, providing ongoing feedback and regular appraisal. Identify and support training and development opportunities for assigned volunteers and staff. Ensure productive and effective performance by all volunteers.
• Ensure proper record keeping and reporting including activities and events, conduct breakdowns of daily participation figures, notable achievements, and any problems/issues.
• Increase visibility of Club programs via posting of daily schedule, announcements of upcoming events and the dissemination of timely information and promotional materials.
Skills/Knowledge required in the following areas:
1. May oversee special programs and/or events and/or participate in the implementation of other Clubhouse activities as necessary.
2. May be required to fundraise in support of special program activities or field trips.
3. May be required to travel with program for field trips/events and to participate in virtual events.
4. May be required to periodically drive Club van.
5. May be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
6. May consult with parents/guardians concerning member behavior and progress.
7. Perform light cleaning and assume other duties as assigned.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, persons of color, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.